Welcome to the Archives of the Paul Rudolph Heritage Foundation. The purpose of this online database is to function as a tool for scholars, students, architects, preservationists, journalists and other interested parties. The archive consists of photographs, slides, articles and publications from Rudolph’s lifetime; physical drawings and models; personal photos and memorabilia; and contemporary photographs and articles.
Unless otherwise noted, all images and drawings are copyright © The Estate of Paul Rudolph and The Paul Rudolph Heritage Foundation. Please speak with a representative of the Paul Rudolph Heritage Foundation to get permission to use any drawings or photos. Drawings, sketches and other materials produced by Rudolph’s architectural office at the Library of Congress are maintained there for preservation, but the intellectual property rights belong to the Paul Rudolph Estate and Ernst Wagner, founder of the Paul Rudolph Heritage Foundation.
Address: 125 East 50th Street
City: New York
Zip Code: 10022
Nation: United States
Google Maps Address: 40.756486, -73.972069
Site Area: 7,185 s.f.
Floor Area: Commercial: 7,200 s.f. Basement, 5,350 s.f. First Floor, 7,460 s.f. Second Floor. Residential: 124,500 s.f.
Floors (Above Ground): 25
Client: Smith, Barney Real Estate Corporation
Architect: Paul Rudolph
New York City Apartment Hotel
This was a development project ‘to build or purchase an Apartment Hotel in a commercially zoned, well located area in Midtown Manhattan.’ After months of searching for land within the boundaries of 48th Street to 61st Street, Lexington Avenue to Sixth Avenue, Rudolph proposed buying the Beverly Hotel and converting the existing units into condominiums.
The scope of work included a change of name, renovation of 120 rooms during ongoing hotel operation, renovation of the lobby and public corridors, escalators in the commercial space to access the basement and second floor, and a new facade on the street level and second floor.
The Beverly Hotel, now known as the Benjamin Hotel, was originally designed in 1926-1927 by Emery Roth and designated a New York City landmark in 2016.
DRAWINGS - Design Drawings / Renderings
DRAWINGS - Construction Drawings
DRAWINGS - Shop Drawings
PHOTOS - Project Model
PHOTOS - During Construction
PHOTOS - Completed Project
PHOTOS - Current Conditions
LINKS FOR MORE INFORMATION