Welcome to the Archives of the Paul Rudolph Heritage Foundation. The purpose of this online database is to function as a tool for scholars, students, architects, preservationists, journalists and other interested parties. The archive consists of photographs, slides, articles and publications from Rudolph’s lifetime; physical drawings and models; personal photos and memorabilia; and contemporary photographs and articles.

Unless otherwise noted, all images and drawings are copyright © The Estate of Paul Rudolph and The Paul Rudolph Heritage Foundation. Please speak with a representative of the Paul Rudolph Heritage Foundation to get permission to use any drawings or photos. Drawings, sketches and other materials produced by Rudolph’s architectural office at the Library of Congress are maintained there for preservation, but the intellectual property rights belong to the Paul Rudolph Estate and Ernst Wagner, founder of the Paul Rudolph Heritage Foundation.

Tuskegee Chapel.jpg

LOCATION
Address: 1 Booker T Washington Boulevard
City: Tuskegee
State: Alabama
Zip Code: 36088
Nation: United States
Google Maps Address: 32.43101, -85.70737

STATUS
Type: Religious
Status: Built

TECHNICAL DATA
Date(s): 1960-1969
Site Area:
Floor Area:
Height:
Floors (Above Ground):
Building Cost:

PROFESSIONAL TEAM
Client:
Architect: Paul Rudolph
Associate Architect: John A. Welch & Louis Fry, Moreland Griffith Smith
Landscape:
Structural:
MEP:
QS/PM:

SUPPLIERS
Contractor:
Subcontractor(s):

Interdenominational Chapel for Tuskegee Institute

  • The building replaced architect Robert R. Taylor's original chapel which was built in 1896-98. It had stood on the same site and been the first building in the county to have electric lights. It was struck by lightning and destroyed by fire in 1957.

  • Rudolph worked with former Tuskegee Institute professors John A. Welch and Louis Fry on the chapel’s design.

  • The present-day chapel contains reproductions of the original chapel's stained glass "Singing Windows" that portray Negro spirituals.

  • The building was completed in 1969 with 1,200,000 bricks made and laid by Tuskegee students.

This chapel is psychologically a fortress for Tuskegee Institute. Most of the light is brought into the interior from overhead to increase the feeling of security and stability. The non-parallel walls and hyperbolic paraboloid roof assist the acoustical quality of the chapel. The simple space expands itself to form side chapels and entrances in an overlapping spiraling manner.
— Paul Rudolph in Moholy-Nagy, Sibyl, and Gerhard Schwab. The Architecture of Paul Rudolph. New York: Praeger, 1970. P. 86

DRAWINGS - Design Drawings / Renderings

DRAWINGS - Construction Drawings

DRAWINGS - Shop Drawings

PHOTOS - Project Model

PHOTOS - During Construction

PHOTOS - Completed Project

PHOTOS - Current Conditions

LINKS FOR MORE INFORMATION
Tuskegee University website about Tuskegee Chapel

RELATED DOWNLOADS

PROJECT BIBLIOGRAPHY
“New Look In College Chapels.” The Baltimore Afro-American, September 6, 1960. p. 28
Wagner, M. (1965, February 19). Rudolph Criticizes Campuses. Chicago Daily Illinois, p. 2
Rudolph, P. and Moholy-Nagy, S. (1970). The Architecture of Paul Rudolph. New York: Praeger, pp. 86-93.