Welcome to the Archives of the Paul Rudolph Heritage Foundation. The purpose of this online database is to function as a tool for scholars, students, architects, preservationists, journalists and other interested parties. The archive consists of photographs, slides, articles and publications from Rudolph’s lifetime; physical drawings and models; personal photos and memorabilia; and contemporary photographs and articles.
Unless otherwise noted, all images and drawings are copyright © The Estate of Paul Rudolph and The Paul Rudolph Heritage Foundation. Please speak with a representative of the Paul Rudolph Heritage Foundation to get permission to use any drawings or photos. Drawings, sketches and other materials produced by Rudolph’s architectural office at the Library of Congress are maintained there for preservation, but the intellectual property rights belong to the Paul Rudolph Estate and Ernst Wagner, founder of the Paul Rudolph Heritage Foundation.
Address: 317 Chewacla Drive
Zip Code: 36830
Nation: United States
Google Maps Address: 32.60089, -85.47221
Floors (Above Ground):
Architect: Paul Rudolph
Associate Architect: AL. Lamar Brown
Contractor: Harold Swindell
The cantilevers are the most distinguishing design element of the house;
The house lies on a concrete block basement which is on top of a gently sloping site.
14 feet long cantilevers are placed at each end, supported by stressed walls.
There are changing floor levels, created with cantilevers, forming different spaces such as the balcony and vaulted ceiling cantilevers.
It was an Architectural Record house of 1956.
It was sold to William L. and Anne T. Shaw, who still owned it as of 2014.
DRAWINGS - Design Drawings / Renderings
DRAWINGS - Construction Drawings
DRAWINGS - Shop Drawings
PHOTOS - Project Model
PHOTOS - During Construction
PHOTOS - Completed Project
PHOTOS - Current Conditions
LINKS FOR MORE INFORMATION
“Rudolph Designs Modern Dwelling for API Professor.” Auburn Plainsman, April 20, 1955. p. 4