google-site-verification: google338f20cfe8feaf0e.html

The 1950s

In March of 1952, Rudolph left Twitchell's office to open his own firm and began traveling between Florida and New York to lecture at various schools in the Northeast. Rudolph re-examined his early work in Florida and was not satisfied with its quality, concluding that it lacked sufficient psychological control of light and space. He started to question the fundamentals of the International Style and the rigid principles of the Sarasota School. In 1954 he was awarded the "Outstanding Young Architect Award" in an international competition and the resulting recognition led to larger projects around and outside of Florida. Paul Rudolph was offered in 1957 the Chairmanship of the School of Architecture at Yale University and opened another office in New Haven, Connecticut. Rudolph continued to build projects in Sarasota during this period, which are notable for their emphasis of mass and expression over the previous focus on light materials, modular bays and prefabricated components.